MAPUCHE TREKAN COMMUNITY HOMESTAY
Mapuche Trekan Community Homestay is an indigenous Mapuche community located in the ancestral Valle de Elicura (Contulmo Province). We share our ancestral vision of the world with people who chose to experience responsible tourism activities with others who respect and value our culture and surroundings. We share our daily activities such as our traditional cuisine, our ancestral sport (palin), local history, stories of our cosmology, as well as offering eco-tours throughout our preserved forest and trips to the volcanos.
Visitors can participate in diverse activities of host Mapuche families: For example hey could help visiting their chicken farms, vegetable gardens, greenhouses and also their handicraft goods. Mapuche families are open to share their livelihood and beliefs.
Mapuche families are very proud of their ancestral traditions that continue to be alive and consequently community based tourism is an excellent bridge through which they could share their culture with tourists. Guests have the opportunity to connect with various individuals and families in this community, which allows them to understand first hand about the Mapuche culture as well as obstacles they continue to face. Tourism has allowed the Mapuche community to find that balance and a sense of empowerment.
The Elicura Valley is located in a beautiful area close to the Lanalhue Lake, which means in Mapudungun “place of lost soul”. This gorgeous lake of warm waters has a surface of 2,900 hectares and it is available for swimming and practicing nautical sports. The place is surrounded by beautiful beaches.
The place is characteristic of southern Chile, with a temperate weather, inhabited by beautiful flora and fauna, many times endemic to the place. The calm Nahuelbuta mountain range surrounds the Elicura Valley, and astonishes visitors with its natural resources and Mapuche identity.
GUEST CAPACITY AND ROOM FACILITIES
At least one guest, one night minimum.
Three cabins with double and triple rooms (upon request)
Bathroom facilities, Fire extinguisher, Heater or fireplace, Kitchen, Meals provided, Non-smoking, Towels, Transport to and from bus terminal.
HOMESTAY TOURS AND ACTIVITIES
One Day visit at Mapuche Trekan Community Homestay
- Visitors will first settle in the valley and, after a delicious breakfast.
- After breakfast visitors could choose to hike on a native forest reserve.
- After the trek, visitors will be served a traditional lunch served at Ruka Tegualda, where its mistress will serve delicious traditional lunch, made with local organic products.
- After a nice break, Ruka Lelbun and Longko Miguel will introduce the Mapuche culture to visitors. Miguel will tell stories, myths and traditions of this amazing culture.
- Visitors could choose to do Workshops such as: spin wool, weave a loom and prepare typical food.
- Visitors could also choose to visit mapuche and crafts museum in Nocha: a driver will get the group to Cañete town, where a local guide will lead the group through the amazing museum of the Mapuche culture.
- Visitors could also choose to visit a large craft area known as Huape.
Tour to the Nahuelbuta National Park: visitors are invited to hike trough ancient mountain trails in the Nahuelbuta National Park. Enjoy under the ancient Araucarias and stunning views of the ocean and the Andes volcanoes.
Medicinal relaxation: after a great day of hiking, visitors could choose to enjoy a hot salt bath with herbal remedies. It is the perfect combination for a physical and spiritual healing.